What is Better Breaks Respite?
Better Breaks Respite is a flexible respite scheme delivered in partnership with VOCAL Carers Centre. The aims of the respite scheme are to increase the number of breaks available to parents and carers of children and young people with additional needs. Applications for flexible respite is open to all children with additional needs, not just those with an autism diagnosis. Flexible respite allows parents and carers to select the time, duration and location of respite
How does it work?
- Submit an application and participation agreement to VOCAL’s Grants Panel.
- If the Grants Panel decides to approve your application you will receive a written confirmation of the hours of respite you have been awarded.
- Lothian Autistic Society will set up a meeting to arrange completion of a child profile and a full set of terms and conditions which you must read and adhere to.
- Lothian Autistic Society will then provide a fully trained and experienced support worker to support your child.
- Parents liaise directly with carers to arrange respite at a time that suits them.
- Lothian Autistic Society will then support your child on their desired activity. Suggested activities include swimming, cinema, bowling, parks and farms.
Full information on this opportunity, including application forms and guidance notes, are available via VOCAL.
See VOCAL’s Short Breaks page for other short breaks funds and options for carers.
Vocal provides support for unpaid carers in Edinburgh and Midlothian in all caring situations and relationships to help identify issues affecting them and achieve the best possible outcome for carers.